Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cultural Performance: Ile-Ife




Courtesy of a primary school in Ife, our group was treated to a Yoruba cultural performance by children age 6-12.  They were fabulous little dancers and singers.  They started the program by singing Nigeria’s national anthem. Then, they performed a play which was followed by a series of different dances.  All of the children performing wore traditional clothes and jewelry.  Because kids all around the world are the same, a handful of them had dirty butts and kneecaps from playing in the dirt.  In spite of the hot weather and lack of wind, the children put on an excellent show! *In Yoruba culture, it is common for people watching the performance to spray the performers with money.  Often times, people from the audience give the performers small denominations of naira, (Nigerian currency) such as 20 naira or 50 naira. In light of this, I danced my way towards the group and paid my dues * The show was great until the announcer invited all of the students to the center of the playground to show off our dancing skills, or lack thereof.  I was a bit embarrassed at first, but within no time, I got my groove on and started shaking my butt like alongside the 6-7 year olds.  Those kids out-danced me, HANDS DOWN.  

No comments:

Post a Comment