Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Akekoo ni mi (I am a student)

School? Oh yeah, the reason why I am in Nigeria.  Classes are going fine.  I am studying the Yoruba language.  Ironically, my teacher here in Nigeria is one of my teachers from Madison! It’s a small world? On a typical day, we spend the morning speaking, reading and listening to Yoruba.  We learn A LOT of vocabulary.  I need to spend more time studying, but I have been distracted. Besides, I forgot my flashcards. How am I supposed to learn my vocab? The early afternoon is spent with a conversation partner.  Ellie, a classmate of mine, and I have a conversation partner who is a student at Obafemi Awolowo University.  Her name is Feyi.   She studies Yoruba, therefore, she is an excellent resource for all of our questions.  I don’t know her well yet, but I get good vibes from her.  She is a friend, rather than a teacher.  This makes speaking Yoruba much more comfortable for us.  During our time with Feyi, we walk around campus and talk.  It is my thing. I love it.  After that, we have lunch.  Most days, we trek to “New Buka” which is 2 blocks of various Yoruba restaurants.  New Buka is organized in the same way that a food court is set up in a mall, but there is not a common area for everybody to sit and eat. New Buka is cool, but a few of us have discovered places and people much more interesting.  Behind New Buka, there are a bunch of stands that serve the same Yoruba food, but for much cheaper.  The conversation is usually better too.  As with many things, you have to dig a little to find the local treasures.   So far, we have found a little place with all of our favorite food as well as a woman who sells oranges.  I am so happy that we have discovered these places within the first week.  I am saving money and improving my speaking.  Although the Yorubas love their food spicy, I have managed my way around the Pepa! Needless to say, I am eating well!
                                                (left to right): Me, Feyi, Ellie   

No comments:

Post a Comment