Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Life is good. The internet is not. (E se fun suru re): Thank you for your patience!

I must start this post by apologizing. Prior to leaving the states, I excitedly proclaimed that I was going to keep a blog—updated every few days or so.  Believe me, I know that it has been 12 days since I have written anything L The way the internet works here is simple.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not.  Who decides this? I’ll get back to you on that one. Enough said. Accept my apology and read about all the cool happenings of my first few days in the great Ile-Ife, Nigeria!
To start, it is hot in Nigeria.  How hot? Speaking in Fahrenheit or Celsius, I have no idea, but the fact that I am CONSTANTLY sweating should give you a good idea of what it’s like.  It doesn’t matter if I am inside or out, clean or dirty; my body resembles one of those water bottles that makes a puddle on your desk after just a few minutes of being filled with cold water. My initial appreciation for the warm and sunny climate no longer exists.  At just day 12, I see the sun and curse to myself (inside of course).  On the flip side, it is rainy season in Nigeria.  This means that it rains almost every day.  When it rains, it POURS.  I love when it rains because 1) I love the smell  2) it cools off for the rest of the day and 3) it makes for perfect sleeping weather.  Side note: Sleeping has not been a problem at all.  Mom says that she used to have to wake me to feed me.  Some things never change. That is how good I’m sleeping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment